Saturday, March 14, 2015

OOTDs: Three Dressy.

Agh!  I fell down the sewing rabbit hole this week.  Again.  It was worth it since I really like what I made, but I am really glad all that hand sewing is behind me.  (I have  link at the bottom of this post with where you can find out more about the project.)



Day: Saturday, February 28, 2015.

Where:  Rex's First Confession.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  The coat dress is one of my favorites from J. Crew, mainly because the coat dress is angled out from the waist to make the skirt portion in an a-line shape, which covers my curves but also is comfortable over my curves.  I realized too late that the dress was a touch short for church, so I made sure to cover it with a longer coat (also from J. Crew).  I didn't end up taking off the coat at church, but you could see the collar of the coat dress poking out.  In general, though, if I am going to dinner or out, I don't let the shorter hemline bother me too much (in fact I never noticed until this event that it was shorter than I thought).

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.) I don't have a big opinion one way or another, I mean the look was fine for the event, but ultimately it was more about being right for the occasion than being cool.


Day: Wednesday, March 4, 2015.

Where:  Rex's doctor to get the long cast off and a visit to Harris Teeter.

Ease of Wear: (4.75 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  This is the way I would dress everyday if I didn't ever want to shake it up...but I fear tunics, leggings, ballet flats, and scarves would become a bit repetitive.  But so comfortable, and because of the tunic and shoes, it has a dressier edge than the typical jeans and tee.

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.) I thought the pink scarf matched the tunic, but in these photos the color looks so much brighter and it seems to have a bluer cast.  I suspect the camera has a problem with properly capturing the colors as the hallway's lighting is subpar.  I almost always have to adjust the white balance in picasa to get the colors accurate.  But anyhow, colors aside, tunics are not cool, but I wear mine with pride as I love them so much.

Day: Thursday, December 18, 2014.

Where:  Substitute Teaching.  (This was an outfit I forgot to publish way back when...)

Ease of Wear: (4.25 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  I really wish Boden would bring back this fabric to their designs.  I think they only used it a handful of times, and only ever in their Boden Limited Edition line (RIP) or their evening wear collections.  It is made from a silk jersey and it is so lovely, with thicker hand and an incredible drape.  As it is a knit, it has some give, but doesn't fall out of shape.  The lining is a very soft knit fabric and helps maintain the life of the main fabric but also gives the dress a bit of heft for warmth. 

Cool Factor: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  This dress has a timeless cut and feel to it.  I have had this one since 2010 (I think) and I can't imagine a time I wouldn't want to wear it.  This kind of dress is like the DVF wrap dresses, it is kind of magical on how it frames the female form.  The fabric is a bit out there, but since I wear prints constantly, it isn't inconsistent with my style.

Okay, so above is a photo of the jacket I slaved over this week.  I wrote up a lot more on it and its construction over at this Fabric Mart post.  Hope you take a look if you are into retro fashion or if you enjoy sewing related things.

Have a great Saturday!  Talk with you all soon!