Sunday, October 19, 2014

OOTDs/Review: Boden Everyday Sweater, Low Heeled Loafer, and Charlotte Top. Plus a Flash Sale Today Only!

Before I start, there is a flash sale going on at Boden today, for one day only.  I put the link in the sidebar and at the bottom of this post for those of you interested.  The Everyday Sweater is in the sale, fwiw.  The Charlotte Top is not part of the sale, but it is listed at 30% off, so it has been reduced to further than my current sidebar coupon is (currently at 15% off).

Okay, onto the outfit of the day/reviews.  OOTD portion first, followed by a review.






Day: Sunday, October 19, 2014.

Where:  Harris Teeter.

Ease of Wear: (4.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  It is a touch cool here today, with highs only in the low 60s.  I knew I would need a sweater (here at Boden, use link below for the flash sale savings), but was hoping this would be warm enough for the temperatures.  It was more than fine, I wasn't cold at all.  The weight of the sweater was more than adequate.

The shoes are a bit wide on me, sigh.  They didn't fall off or anything, but I am so darn picky.  If only these loafers (here at Boden) had come in half sizes, I would have been set. 

Cool Factor: (4.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  A bit trendy with the necklace, jeans, and shape of the sweater, but a bit retro with the design on the sweater, so all in all, a great look for me.  Just wish I had someplace more exciting than the grocery store to go to...

Anecdote from the day:  Rex fell down from the illness that took his daddy down yesterday.  He is sick, too, with a temperature.  So now half the house is sick, and the other half is trying to take care of the half that is sick.  ;-)

REVIEW:
Everyday Sweater
Everyday Sweater.  Size 6.  I chose correctly, size-wise.  The width is bit wide, but I know that was the intention, so I would not size down from your normal Boden knitwear size.  I personally think this is such a flattering silhouette, with the gentle curved hem, scoop neck, and long, thin sleeves.  Those are really long sleeves, though, and they have no petite option, so keep that in mind if you are a smaller lady.  The length is also a bit short, so if you have a longer torso this may end up bothering you.

The blue retro rose color is a cotton/wool blend and so soft.  I love it!  The other colors are not that combo, so I can't speak to their relative softness.

If they come out with other colors that tempt me in the future, I will definitely be buying this sweater.  It is truly a lovely item.

I did another review of this item here at this blog post.

Low Heeled Loafer
Low Heeled Loafer.  Size 41.  I wear a size 9.5 at J. Crew, and their shoes, without fail, always fit me in that size.  Boden's shoe sizing is one place I can never be fully sure what size I wear.  It may be a 40 one time, another a 40.5 (if available), or a 41.  Sigh.  These, as I mentioned above, would be best for me in a 40.5 since the width on the 41 is too loose.  I can fix it by wearing thicker socks, but sometimes I just don't want to wear socks.  Oh, well. 

As it is, these are popular shoes, and nearly sold out in many of the colors (or on backorder), so I will keep the 41.  It isn't like they are falling off, they are just a touch wide, and I am picky.

The color is fab, a muted pewter color that goes with so much.  The heel height is also wonderful, just enough for a lift, but not so high that it becomes hard to manage.

I did a review of this item here at this blog post, way back when.  I wasn't so picky back at that blog post, maybe they felt tighter then?  Who knows.  Maybe I am just cranky.  LOL.






Day: Friday, October 17, 2014.

Where:  Target and School Pickup.

Ease of Wear: (4.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  Well initially, at my house anyway, it was cool enough to justify a scarf with the outfit.  But by the time I got to the school for pickup, it was actually hot, so I had to take it off.  The Charlotte top (here at Boden) was a perfect weight for the mid-70s, so on its own, it was very comfortable.

Cool Factor: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  I dig shorts with a longer-sleeved top, a scarf, and sandals, but based on the look that some old guy gave me at Target, I would guess he wasn't into it.  LOL.  Okay.  That's fair.

Anecdote from the day:  The world's cutest chocolate lab puppy showed up at pickup (he was a rescue) and my son was in HEAVEN.  He spent half of the pickup time playing with the puppy.  The other half of the time he sat enjoying being the center of attention since all the adults there were oohing and aahing over the insane adorableness of cute puppy and cute baby together. By the way, Angus's shirt is from baby Boden and available here.   Hee. 

REVIEW:
Charlotte Top
Charlotte Top.  Size 6 PETITE.  After taking the measurements into consideration and reading that the top is supposed to hit at the low hip, I *knew* I had to get the petite because that would mean it would be shorter on me, which means it wouldn't hit at my low hip and instead hit at my high hip.  Whenever something straight up and down hits at my low hip, I either size up to fit the hips and have it be too large on top, or get it to fit my bodice and know it will be too tight on bottom.  Yay PETITE sizing!  :-)  It is a touch short in the arms, but I like where the cuff hits, just below my elbow.

The size 6 R and 6 P both have the same body measurements, it is just the length of the top and sleeves that are different.  They don't do what J. Crew does and make the 6 P have the same measurements as the 4 R, just shorter (so weird, don't get that at all), so definitely do not size up if you want to buy the petite version.

I am particular about how the plaid lines up and it doesn't, kind of obviously, if you notice it, but meh, it isn't something most people look for, so I can get over it.  It is a really cute top otherwise.

Okay, that's all for now.  Hope everyone is having a great Sunday.

Sale Info:
Sunday only! 20% off all Women's Knitwear, Hats and Scarves15% Off Everything Else + Free Shipping