Monday, February 10, 2014

OOTDs: Dots This Way.

Good morning, all!  Hope everyone had a great weekend.  I finished up my pants sloper workshop and after trying on the *final* version, I am excited to get to working on a real pair for me to wear in real life.  I hope they look as good in real life as they did in the plain ole white muslin form.

This week appears less busy than last, yay for that.  I only sub one day, and only have one big meeting this week, so I should have more time with my blog this week, which has been sorely neglected in favor of non-virtual things.  ;-)

Okay, onto some dotted outfits!


Day: Sunday, January 26, 2014.

Where: Church.

Ease of Wear: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  As you know, I wore this dress (Tulip Party Dress-- low stock in most sizes) to my reunion.  I wanted to make sure it wasn't a one trick pony, so I changed up the styling to see if it could work for more dressy occasions that weren't parties.  My main concern was that it wouldn't be comfortable, and I am happy to report the dress wore well and was super comfortable, even with the extra layer underneath.  (I did size up to a size 8 L, read the review for more info, so that likely allowed me the extra room for the tee under the bodice.)

This was not exceedingly comfortable, but I wasn't hating it by the end of the morning, so if you like the dress, try it for other events that don't include meeting up with people you haven't seen in years and years.

Cool Factor: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.)  I don't love the necklace with the outfit, and any time you place a tee under a dress it can read a bit juvenile, but overall I like the look and it was just right for church.  But since I just wrote those words, we all know church does not equal cool.  LOL.

Anecdote from the Day:  It was the start of Catholic Schools week which meant that if the kids wore their uniform to church they would get a dress down day on Tuesday that week.  Of course CW gave us no problems, but you would think we were poking Rex with hot coals based on how frustrated he was with that idea.  In the end, we picked our battles, but firmly explained to him that he would get no dress down coupon from his teacher when we went to the school afterwards. 

His teacher, though, is the sweetest girl ever, and was all, "oh, it's okay, he can have one."  I was the mean momma and was like, "no he can't." 

He decided next year he would rather wear the uniform to church for an hour than miss out on dress down days.  We'll see, right?  ;-)


Day: Saturday, January 25, 2014.

Where: First Pants Sloper Sewing Class at G Street Fabrics.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  It was so so cold that day, but I also knew that I would be measuring my lower half so I knew I wanted to wear something skin tight for that purpose, so I wore the long dotted jersey skirt from Boden (this year's version is called the Swishy Jersey Skirt) with a pair of tights instead of wearing pants.  Of course that led to issues, but I will explain more on that in the anecdote.

The outfit was warm and comfortable, so big thumbs up for that.

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.)  It has a bit of a bohemian vibe, in a very preppy way, but it isn't super cool.  I love the somewhat neutral colors, with the tiny pop of color from the scarf (made by me, more on that here at this post).  The bag is the Canvas Shopper (from Boden) and is not cool, but big enough to carry my drafting supplies for class, so yay for big sturdy bags.  I love the print on the bag, too, very "fun," which we all know Boden does in overabundance.  The bag is on a long wait for restock, so I am not alone in my love for the bag.

Anecdote from the Day:  Hahahaha.  You know where I am going to go with measurements and wearing tights, right?  Turns out there was another class in the classroom and so it wasn't just us Pants Sloper ladies in there (the next two weeks it was us by ourselves, though).  I ended up having to fiddle with the skirt to get accurate measurements.  At points I had pulled down the skirt, other times I slipped the measuring tape under my skirt, while other points I had to hoist the skirt far up on my torso.  I should have just worn leggings like I did this last time.


Day: Monday, January 27, 2014.

Where: Post and Pre-Bowling.

Ease of Wear: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.)  Okay, the sweater (Audrey Sweater, current version here), the shoes (Mid-Heel Wedge, here) were very comfortable and felt great.  (Even the wedges are starting to fit exactly right, it needed just one wear to completely fit my foot right--they were a touch snug the first time I wore them.  I bought a 40, btw, the 41 would have been too big.)

The problem are the pants.  Again they look okay in photos but since I now know what pants should look and feel like, even in a more fitted silhouette like jeans usually are, I am very persnickity about how what I once considered a good fit is now not even close to what I want in my pants.  These give me issues in the upper hip area and I suspect it is because I have a longer rise in front and in back than I realized and most pants that are ready to wear are not made for that frame.  (That said, tall lengths often include a longer rise which is why I have more success with that kind of sizing.)

I guess this means I will have to be on the lookout for some dotted denim fabric so I can make my own jeans, as I love the look of these pants.  :-)

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest--for both outfits.)  Very pretty combo, especially the yellow and navy together.  Preppy and a bit retro, not especially cool, though.  LOVE my hair that day.  Why can't it look like that everyday???

Anecdote from the Day:  I am so bad at bowling, lol.  I was doing well at it, but then I had nearly a month off in December, and with all the things going on with snow and my subbing, I haven't seen my bowling league ladies in forever.  So I have to pre and post-bowl with just one other lady and because I do better in sports when I am around others, I am sort of faltering.  Sigh.  And I have to pre-bowl again today!  (Subbing tomorrow instead of bowling.)  I am sure I will do great!  Ha.

Okay, that's it for me for now.  I am excited to have the afternoon to get some more work done, including visiting all my recent comments made here, and finally commenting back.