Wednesday, January 29, 2014

OOTDs: Marled Colorblock Loveliness and Some Truly Awful Pants.

Hey, all.  I have been meaning to get to posting my ootd posts more frequently but I have been a bit busy with the usual, you know, constant needs of children, and the unusual, the complete drafting of my first pants block/pattern.  Last Saturday I spent four hours at G Street Fabrics working with an instructor who had us take very specific measurements of the lower half of our bodies (there are seven of us in the class) and then carefully draw precise lines and shapes from the measurements on pattern drafting paper.

This week we are meant to take the pattern and make a muslin of it with two inch seam allowances, and I don't about you sewers out there, but I am struggling to get those two inch seam allowances on there, even though I have a curved ruler and a very large clear straight ruler.  It's probably my inexperience, but I also bet a few people who have more experience than me might hate adding seam allowances to patterns, too.  ;-)

But--for all of the hard work I have to do to get the pants block ready--I so want this pattern to be done and asap, since I am at the point where I absolutely LOATHE 90% of my regular pants.  Leggings, fine.  Ponte trousers, great.  Actual physical pants with a waistband, pockets, and a zip/button closure, ugh.  I now weigh less than I did a year ago, but I guess since my sewing journey has started, I realize just how horribly pants fit most people.  It's like a tic...no matter what, I look for how pants fit people when looking at a photo of someone's outfit.  I even noticed that freaking J. Crew models have poorly fitting pants, all saggy and wrinkly and crotch-whiskered, too (at least nine offensive pairs of pants in the February 2014 issue, fwiw).  My *brother* has fitting issues, his crotch had massive amounts of wrinkles in the fabric in the pair he wore tonight.  So what to do?  Well--sew your own freaking pairs and sell the rest.  I think by the time I am done, I will have in my closet exactly three pairs of non-handmade pants that is how vile I think all of my purchased pairs are. 

Or it could just be that I am tired of pants because it has been too cold to wear anything but pants.  Darn you Arctic Blast.

So below are three outfits with pants in them.  Fortunately for the pants, they were at least topped by sweaters or tees that I just love, including the Marled Colorblock Sweater, which I recently acquired in one of the 40% off sales (although I think I may have bought this one at 50% off if I am remembering correctly).

I am going to not bother with any of the extra details tonight, but if I can link to a product page, I will.  :-)  I will add a few words about the pretty Marled Colorblock Sweater, too.

Okay, these pants are okay.  Bit short, but it wasn't too cold that day.  Plus it has a ridiculous amount of stretch in them, so they really don't count as "real" pants anyhow.  ;-)

You can find the Arrowstack necklace at Madewell.  The Embellished Ballet Flats are in clearance over at Boden.  

I made the sweater using the Crewneck Sweater pattern in Burda Magazines August 2013 issue.  Again with the tracing and adding seam allowances.  Worth the effort, though, I am a huge fan of this unusual shape and the fabric since I have NOTHING like it in my wardrobe.

You can read more about the process here at Pattern Review.  I won't be turning this project into a "made by me file" post here at the blog.

Close up of the fabric and the stretch lace trim I used on the sweater.

These stupid jeans.  They are too baggy at the waist so I had to keep hitching them up all day but oddly too tight in my upper thigh.  Sigh.  They look way cuter in the photo than they felt like in real life.

You can find the Metallic Snowflake Tee here at J. Crew Factory.

Close up the tee and the darling bow cardigan.  The tee fits well, I sized up to a small and like it a bit bigger and longer.  Works well with the silhouette I chose yesterday.

Does anyone recall the name of this coat?  It is from 2006 and it is so warm (probably made from stadium cloth fabric).  Anyhow, I pull it out when it is bitter a$$ cold out and that is what it was yesterday.  Bitter A$$ cold.

Sorry about the color, the shot was taken a bit underexposed and in attempting to get the lighting brighter, it turned the whole photo a bit green/cool. 

Those pants are the worst offenders in my closet.  I only wore them out because I literally put them on four seconds before leaving and because I knew that I would be wearing that grey coat (in the last photo) over it.  I think the pants being made from a horribly wrinkly cotton sateen make these pants extra wrinkly and saggy looking.  They are just so bad.  I shouldn't even give them up, I should just turn them into work pants and be done with it.  They fit, that's what makes the whole situation even worse.  They feel so comfortable on...what a pity that they look like UTTER crap on me.  LOL.

Color is a bit better here, but still a touch cool.

The Marled Colorblock Sweater is still available, and I have seen this color pop back a ton in both shades in all sizes.  I sized to an extra small based on Gigi's review, and I think I chose well since it feels comfortable without being too baggy or loose.  This would look really cute with a pencil skirt, if only it warmed up enough for me to want to wear a skirt.

The necklace is a stunner, and I am so glad I bought it way back in 2009.  I only wear it a handful of times a year but it never fails to make me smile.  It suits the coloring of the knit, especially the light purple shade of the yarn.

I personally love the tiny specks of neon threading but if that is not your thing stay away.  :-)

Okay that's all for now.

If you are a Boden fan, the "Spring Trim" of the day ends tonight and tomorrow starts another two day "trim."  You can read more about the current trim here.

Valid 1/26 - 1/31. 6-Day Promotion: 20% Off Selected Items; 10% Off Everything Else + Free Shipping & Returns!