Tuesday, May 7, 2013

OOTDs/Reviews: Barbados and a Peony.


Day: Thursday, April 25, 2013.

Where: Bowling End-of-Year Lunch.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) Not only is the Barbados dress* super pretty, it is super comfortable, too.  The cotton outer and lining are super soft next to the skin, and as long as you grab your correct size, nothing feels too tight, either.

My Kenneth Cole Reaction heels are really old but have held up well and are really easy on the feet because of the wide toe box and wedge heel.  I even pull them out in the winter and wear with tights, I love them that much.

*It's NOT SOLD OUT, btw. I have in my shopping bag 9 of the size 6 and 9 of the size 4 (like to watch price changes).  Contact a personal shopper because J. Crew is being funny.  Blegh.

Cool Factor: (2.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  Definitely average.  Pretty and perfect for what I was doing, though, celebrating a great year of bowling with women in their 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, and 90s (go, Dotty!).

My bag is one I made (from Simplicity 2402), and am not likely to ever show off on the blog again unless it goes *exactly* right with the outfit.  ;)  I made three others for my teammates, and one of them even sews, so she really appreciated it because she says she knows exactly how much time and energy goes into making them.  (That is like the best thank you ever!)

Anecdote from the day:  So I didn't know you won money at the end of the year of bowling.  I figured all the money we were paying was for rental fees, etc.  I was so wrong.  We came in fifth place as a team and ended up with $95 each.  I also won some prizes for being the 2nd most improved average overall (8 points up--not hard to do when you start off as bad as I did, lol) and a lottery prize.  Woo!

All in all a great day.  Unfortunately, I heard from a bowling friend that one of our bowling friends passed away from a heart attack last week.  It really does put perspective on it all.  She was in such great shape, very healthy and full of energy, and wham--just like that.  Very sad. 

Pockets!  Deep and exactly right for storing everything from your hands (of course) to pacifiers (not likely for most) and phones (much more likely).  Cheesy grins not able to be placed in pockets at this time, though.

Side view.  I bought a size 6 to fit my waist (the waist has the smallest measurement at 29.5 inches, I believe).  The dress is pretty much made for my pear shape, but the bodice is a touch too long, which is why you see the puckering just above the waist.  No biggie, obviously, but something to be pointed out.

Definitely size for your waist unless your bustline is especially big.  The hips are free (love love love)!

Back view.  I adore palm trees, so it doesn't bother me at all that my back is littered with them. 

Anti-exposed zipper people?  This here is an invisible zipper, so celebrate on the streets!

Close up of the fabric.  I have never been to Barbados, but if I do go, I will bring the dress, and not in an ironic way, either.  I am truly just that corny.

I have washed the dress already and it looks wonderful (hand wash cycle, cold/cold, and hang to dry).

One thing on the color, the white is actually more of an oyster grey/white.

Shopwithm reviewed it here, btw.

Day: Tuesday, April 16, 2013.

Where: Preschool Run/Little Gym.

Ease of Wear: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) Losing weight has helped these Boden pants fit better, so I felt pretty good in this outfit, all day.  I remember last year wearing these pants and while they fit, they were uncomfortable by the end of the day, so yay for small victories.

The linen peony tee and soft cardigan are both cut from fabric that feel wonderful next to the skin, so no complaints there, either.

Basically if I can keep up with Angus at the Little Gym in my outfit, then it's a good, comfortable outfit.

Cool Factor: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  This is a cool SAHM look.  Especially if SAHM is off to be all active with Mister Tiny (as we like to call the world's largest man baby).  There's just something about a huge graphic peony on the front of a tee, huh?

Anecdote from the day:  Nada.  It was a very typical Tuesday where not much happened out of the ordinary.  Even I might fall asleep from its blah-ness.  :-D

I seriously don't know if anyone will be able to grab this tee on popback or in their stores, but even if not, ebay exists for this very reason, so I will do a quickie review anyhow.  I bought it in a size extra-small, which is my usual J. Crew tee size.  It fits exactly right, and while I know some have balked at the sheerness of the tee, I have a lot of flesh-colored camis made for that express purpose, so it was no big deal for me.  The neckline is a bit puckered, but again, I kind of like it rather than dislike since it gives it a worn-in feel to match the way the linen feels.  I have a soft spot for tees that have a very worn-in feel, and this tee gives me that feeling right away.

The graphic is gorgeous, and in real life looks exactly as you see it in the photo of me.

Okay, ignore if babies aren't your thang, but hahahaha at Angus here.  He looks like he is praising the lamp.  :)  I don't know what the camera catches exactly till I get the images in the computer, and often will have a great big lol when I see what Angus gets up to when the camera's shutter clicks.

BTW, the stairs have a gate right there behind Angus's head (you can see the shadow).  Hopefully you all realize this and know that there. is. no. way. in. H. E. Double Hockey Sticks I would let him parade around the top of the stairs without some sort of safety feature in place.  ;-)

Alrighty, you all have a great day!  I am off to see Rush tonight in Baltimore, so I am pretty stoked.