Monday, February 4, 2013

OOTDs: Celebrating Grey.




Day: Wednesday, January 30, 2013.

Where: Winesday at Whole Foods.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) This Garnet Hill Cap Sleeve Lace Dress is so comfortable, it felt like wearing a nightgown out.  Of course since it isn't a nightgown, it was absolutely appropriate for going out.  ;)  If you like this dress, I bought it in a size 6, which fit very well, if a squidge too big in the bust and waist, but I wouldn't have sized down to a 4 since there are no zippers which means the extra room is necessary for getting on and off the head and shoulders.

It was also very warm that night, so that Anthro "Decorating Committee" cardigan was all I needed for warmth.  (Since that day, though, we have returned to winter, with the highs in the 30s to prove it.)

Cool Factor: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  Definitely a twee girly outfit, but for some of us, this is cool.  LOL.  But for a lot of you, it isn't.  I am not going to split hairs here, but will give it a 3.

Anecdote from the day night:  These Winesday nights are my saving grace for the week.  I spend so much energy running around from one toddler friendly thing to the next that I seriously forget that I am an adult sometimes.  Being able to really get my drink on (and not have to drive, either, thanks, bro!) helps me feel my age again, and in a good way, not a "oh, look at the new wrinkle" kind of way.

One of the wine samples from that night was from a $25 bottle of wine from Tuscany. It was really  good.  I did not bring that bottle home, though.  The small little taste I had will have to suffice for now.


Day: Thursday, January 31, 2013.

Where: Preschool Run and Little Gym with Angus.

Ease of Wear: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) Boots are kind of a pain in the butt to get on and off at the Little Gym, so I am downgrading the comfort from a 4, but if I hadn't had to take the boots off, this would have been a 4, hands down.

The J. Crew factory puffin sweater I have on here is a teeny bit itchy, probably due to the fact that part of it is made from acrylic and rabbit hair, but a cami helped with that.

BTW, I did not have Angus wear his Puffin tee from Boden, but next time, I promise.  Why not sort of match your infant?  Ha.

Cool Factor: (2.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.) Well, I sort of look like a brightly colored, critter-loving girl who rides horses.  I am sure such a thing exists in Virginia's horse country.  People in that part of my lovely state are a bit eccentric, right?

Not in any way, shape, or form is this a cool look, though.  Sorry, Miss Havisham*.

*I have always imagined that somewhere in horse country that there is a wizened old lady just getting mustier and mustier at her grand brick estate.  (Either that or that there are four kids, trapped in an attic by a narcissistic mother and a sociopath grandmother.)

Anecdote from the day:  My dad picked up CW from preschool, so I was able to bring Angus straight home from the Little Gym.  Having just one small child for one small part of the day made me feel insanely relaxed.  I even took a long hot bath while he took his nap.  Luxury!





Day: Wednesday, January 30, 2013.

Where: Harris Teeter for lots and lots of groceries.

Ease of Wear: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) Ain't gonna lie to you all, that skirt is maternity.  ;)  It doesn't look that way because of the shape, but the large elastic band at the top of the skirt definitely proves it.  That is why the darling little fox "silk keyhole" top from Lands' End Canvas is only sort of tucked in (bloused out, just like I did it when I was ten, back in the 80s!).

This was from the same day as the Winesday outing (first outfit), so it was very warm, in the upper 60s.  I ended up having to take off the boucle peplum jacket, so I could have left that at home.

Cool Factor: (3.5 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.)  If I didn't admit to the skirt being maternity, I probably could give this a 4, but I did admit it, so 1/2 point deduction.

I made up for it, sort of, by wearing the darling little Pade Vavra birdie/cuckoo clock necklace and the peplum jacket.  Foxes are probably on their way out...unless of course you are an eccentric living in Virginia's horse country.

Anecdote from the day:  Harris Teeter sees me way too much.  Those of you with kids...do you find you go to the grocery store twice a week because your kids eat their school snacks on the sly, empty the box, and then return said empty box to the cabinet?  I have lost count of how often this has happened.  And it's not like I am away from the kids in the house enough to not see them eating, they must be doing it when I dare to sneak away, and you know, do all sorts of crazy things, like going to the bathroom, or putting the laundry in the wash.  Sigh.

Day: Saturday, January 26, 2013.

Where: First Class of Sewing One.

Ease of Wear: (4 of 5 stars--5 being the most easy to wear.) Yummy warm cashmere on top, stretchy denim leggings and shearling lined boots on the bottom.  This is daytime comfy at its finest.

The sheepskin lined boots were on my radar for months, but even as much I LOOOOOOVE Boden, I couldn't afford the original price of $298.  (Ouch.)  Once they dipped down to $119, I could afford them.  Since I bought them (size 40, so down one size from my usual 41), I have worn them a lot, as it has been cold enough most days to justify it.

Cool Factor: (3 of 5 stars--5 being the coolest.) I think the cashmere snood is the coolest bit, but it is obvious that I am trying to stay comfy, so I doubt this would be considered cool.  I bet cool often means "fashion can be painful, deal with it," and since I felt no pain, points off. ;)

Anecdote from the day:  This was the day I discovered my Singer machine was BROKEN.  This was also the day that the *really cute* guy at the small appliance shop (in my neighborhood--one of the last type of shops like this in the country) said he could fix it for, oh, the exact cost of the machine originally.  So I bid adorable man "goodbye," and got home to find the highest rated sewing machine on Amazon.  I spent more than I wanted (albeit it had free shipping and no taxes), but wow, what a difference.  Sewing is now a huge pleasure, and because I don't have to use a foot pedal, Miss "Clumsy and Uncoordinated" me can actually sew with a reasonable amount of skill.  LOL.

I am currently working on a very easy short tunic that I hope to have done by next weekend.  I am using this Liberty fabric from B & J for the project. 

Okay, all, that's it for now. 

P.S. If you are a Boden fan, they have restarted their "Spring Trim" promo today.  This will last for one week and all items in the trim are 15% off.  With the sidebar coupon, the total off is 28% and has free shipping.  You can find the women's deals here.