Thursday, February 3, 2011

"Dress"-ing the Part!

Hey, all!  :)

Happy Thursday!

So, last Saturday morning I had a teacher sorority (ADK--Alpha Delta Kappa) initiation at one of the member's homes, and because this is quite the big deal, we all needed to look a little dressier than usual.  They also said in the invite to wear purple, gold, and olive green, as those are the sorority's colors.  I have been a member for a few years now and I always look forward to this day...really neat to see the formality of the pinning, etc.  It is also nice to be part of a sorority that is not a college sorority but a professional sorority.  I was telling my friend Ellen that the thing I loved most about our sorority is that the women in it are in LOVE with education and teaching for what it is, reaching out, mentoring, being a catalyst for "a-ha" moments in a person's life, etc.  I love being around that energy and although I teach far less than I used to, these women help remind me of why I still want to be an educator, in whatever form that may take.  (Heck, I guess that is why I started a Mommy Style Monday column, to reach out and help mentor others in fashion...it may not be physics, but it is still a form of teaching!)

Above is what I wore.  The pin I wore is different, but I like how you can clearly see our Greek letters.  I also used that studded tweed invitation clutch, even though I didn't get pics of it.  It was the PERFECT bag, with green, purple, and gold.  ;)

The factory wool ribbon ravine dress is a fine substitute for the real thing, but it is a wool blend, not 100% wool.  I returned the "real" thing last year after I realized that it was too expensive for a dress that I wasn't in LOVE with...the $20 I paid for the factory version is much more reasonable.  I am wearing a size 6.

From the side.  I felt lady-like and professional.  :)

You all have a great afternoon, talk soon!