Tuesday, February 23, 2010

A Little Milly, A Little Carly...

You all (unless buried under piles of snow yourself, begging for mercy, "get me out") did notice that we had a little bit of snow these past few weeks. You may not have known this but we had to cancel my son's 3rd birthday party (originally scheduled for the 13th) because of the snow. Nanny and Pops, Mr. Dina's parents, had to reschedule their flights so that they could even see us (had they come in on the 11th, they would have had to stay with my dad...ooh, fun...in-laws, yet no kids or more importantly, grandkids).

Okay, I promise this is going somewhere. The new date for the reschedule was February 20th, which was last Saturday. Instead of being a Mardi Gras/kids' funfest, the new party just became a kids' funfest...bad juju to go and have a Mardi Gras party after Mardi Gras...wrong to mess with Lenten observances and all. (I did make a hearty--yet sort of salty and spicy, oops--gumbo this year, always make a gumbo, no matter what!)

So, and I am sure this is on all of your minds (ha)...what did dinagideon wear to her son's 3rd birthday party?


Well, I did a polyvore a few weeks ago with the new Milly dress I had gotten on (a deep discount) sale at ebay. I also sent the polyvore over to What Would Emma Pillsbury Wear?, so if you see this set at her blog, you all go ahead and vote for it. (Or else the bad juju is coming your way...just kidding.) ;)

Didn't wear the heels or some of the other pieces, but I came to a close approximation.

At first, I was kind of stressed that the jacket would look terrible IRL with the dress, even though in the polyvore it looks good...but in the end, it all came together, even if it does look a bit "church-lady." (It's okay...I am not exactly sitting front row at Bryant Park in this ensemble...I am hanging with my very sweet, darling, very non-fashionista friends!!! Well, except for Summerilla and Drewablank who were able to come and hang in my 'hood for a bit...)


Sizes:
Jacket: Size Petite 8.
Dress: Size 8. (By the way, it is called the Milly Clover Lace Dress or something like that--there are actually small clovers in the lace overlay...and the lining is silk, feels so nice!)
Tights: Medium/Tall.
Shoes: Size 10.

If I was to go out on a date in this, I would have nixed the flats and worn much edgier shoes. I would have also found a different jacket or cardi as a cover-up.


Without the jacket it is so so pretty. Look at the bow at the waist. DARLING! (See why I sent it to WWEPW? Does this dress not scream "I am a neat freak guidance counselor at a school with a fantastic Glee club?)


So the party is winding down (yet I heard it continued for two hours after I left), and I switch into wearing something to go out with the very cool DC JCAs. I had a feeling the ladies all wanted to see me in my Carly dress get-up (see the photo above as a reminder of it), so I dressed just like that, except I kept the sparkly tights from the Milly dress outfit and I wore the Naturalizer boots instead (better match for the darker tights than these Metropolitan boots were).

I quote one of my good friends here..."Dina, very funky." I must have made a face (although I like funky). He then responds, "No, I like it...Funky is good."

Okay, then.

Drewablank and I mosey on out...and had a great time. For me to go further into the story would be a waste of energy, because...

HeidiG. did a great write-up...

as did Summerilla...

as did Slastena (whose birthday it actually was)...

Have a great afternoon. Enjoy your Tuesday, all!

Oh, and P.S., I didn't forget to do the Crystal Devote Necklace review, I just want to give that post more time and energy than I have to give right now. You all know I am good for it, right??? ;)

5 comments:

HeidiG said...

Love the pics! So bummed I had to miss the reschedule!!! Stupid kids' sports...

Love both outfits - well, I got to see 1 in person. Love the Milly dress - adorable!

And yes, you are funky, but you own it, sister!!

Can't wait to see the devote necklace....

Summerilla said...

You looked fabulous in that Milly dress, it's so beautiful on you. And of course you looked equally fabulous in your outfit later that evening.

Thanks for inviting me to be a guest at your son's birthday party. I was so much fun meeting your friends and family. We missed you HeidiG!

GingerSnap said...

You look darling! I love that dress that Emma would wear! She totally would wear that by the way :) PRETTY!

LT said...

Thanks for reminding me I still need to buy the Carly dress! It looks great on you!

dinagideon said...

HeidiG.: Ooh if my first name was Frances, I could be "funky Frances." ;)

I guess I have to be "day-glo Dina" instead.

Summerilla: Thank you so much. The kids loved seeing you again.

GingerSnap: I hope to someday see Miss Pillsbury in it...perfect for her coloring.

LT: Ooh, buy it and stat...Love the Carly, way more comfy and lovely in real life than it looks in photos...